Making your own fabric coasters is a great way to add a personal touch to your home while protecting your furniture from water stains. The key to making them waterproof is to use a clear sealant that will create a barrier between the fabric and the water. You can find clear sealants at most craft stores, or online.
- How to make Waterproof Coasters | Waterproof Coasters
- Easy Fabric Coasters to Sew
- How to Make Round Fabric Coasters
- How to Make Folded Fabric Coasters
- How to Make Fabric Quilted Coasters
- Folded Fabric Coasters
- How Do You Make Coasters Waterproof?
- How Do You Make a Fabric Drink Coaster?
- What Do You Use to Coat Coasters?
- Are Fabric Coasters Good?
How to make Waterproof Coasters | Waterproof Coasters
- Begin by prewashing both the fabric and the batting
- This will ensure that your coasters don’t shrink when you wash them later
- Cut the fabric and batting into 4″ squares
- Sandwich the batting between two pieces of fabric, right sides together
- Pin in place around all four edges
- Sew around all four edges with a 1/4″ seam allowance, leaving a small opening for turning on one side
- Trim away any excess batting from the corners so that they’ll turn more easily later on
- 6 Turn the coaster right side out through the opening you left earlier, then press flat with an iron
- Edgestitch around all four sides to close up the opening and give your coasters a finished look
Easy Fabric Coasters to Sew
Making your own fabric coasters is a great way to add a personal touch to your home while also protecting your furniture. Plus, they’re easy to make! Here’s how:
What You’ll Need: – Fabric of your choice (I like using quilting cotton) – Scissors
– Pins – Thread – Sewing machine
Instructions: 1. Start by cutting out your fabric. You’ll need four squares that are each 4.5 inches wide.
2. Next, pin two of the squares together with the right sides facing each other. 3. Sew around the edge of the square, leaving a ½ inch seam allowance. Repeat this step for the remaining two squares.
4. Now it’s time to turn your coasters right side out and press them flat.
How to Make Round Fabric Coasters
Coasters are one of those things that you never really think about until you need them. And then, when you can’t find them, they become the most important thing in the world. If you’re like me and can never seem to find coasters when you need them, why not make your own?
Round fabric coasters are easy to make and look great! Here’s what you’ll need: – Fabric of your choice (I used quilting cotton)
– Scissors – A ruler or measuring tape – A pencil or pen
– A sewing machine and thread (you could also hand stitch these if you prefer) – batting or another type of padding (optional) Start by cutting your fabric into 4″ squares. Then, use a ruler or measuring tape to draw a line around the edge of each square, about 1/4″ from the edge.
This will be your stitching line. If you’re using batting or another type of padding, cut it into 4″ squares as well. Place a piece of batting on top of each fabric square, wrong sides together.
How to Make Folded Fabric Coasters
These easy-to-sew coasters are a great way to show off pretty fabrics and make good use of fabric scraps. They’re also quick to sew, so they make a great last-minute gift idea. Best of all, they’re completely reversible, so you can have two different looks in one!
To make your own folded fabric coasters, you’ll need: – Fabric scraps in coordinating patterns (I used quilting cotton) – Coordinating thread
– A sewing machine – Iron and ironing board – Scissors or rotary cutter and cutting mat
Start by cutting your fabric into 5″ squares. You’ll need two squares for each coaster. Then, fold each square in half diagonally and press with a hot iron.
How to Make Fabric Quilted Coasters
If you’re looking for a quick and easy project to make with fabric scraps, look no further than these quilted coasters! Not only are they a great way to use up those fabric scraps, but they also make great gifts. Here’s how to make your own quilted coasters:
1. Start by cutting your fabric into 4″ squares. You’ll need four squares for each coaster. 2. Place two squares right sides together and stitch around the perimeter with a 1/4″ seam allowance, leaving a small opening for turning.
Repeat with the remaining squares. 3. Turn the coasters right side out and press flat. Then, stitch around the perimeter again, closing the opening as you go.
Folded Fabric Coasters
Folded Fabric Coasters are the perfect way to add a personal touch to your home while protecting your furniture from water rings. They are easy to make and can be customized to match any decor.
To make Folded Fabric Coasters, you will need:
-1/4 yard of cotton fabric (quilting weight works best) -Thread -Scissors
-Pins -Iron & ironing board -Sewing machine
Instructions: 1. Cut your fabric into 4″ squares. You should be able to get 9 squares out of 1/4 yard of fabric.
If you want your coasters to be reversible, cut 18 squares. 2. Fold each square in half diagonally and press with an iron. Then open up the triangle and fold each side in towards the center crease and press again.
This will create a nice, clean edge on all four sides of the coaster. 3If you are making reversible coasters, put two right sides together and pin all around the edges. Sew around the perimeter with a 1/4″ seam allowance, leaving a 2″ opening for turning.
Carefully turn the coasters right side out and press flat, then topstitch around the entire edge to close the opening. 4If you are not making reversible coasters, simply sew around all four edges with a 1/4″ seam allowance (no need to leave an opening). Press flat and you’re done!
How Do You Make Coasters Waterproof?
There are a few different ways that you can make coasters waterproof. One way is to use a clear sealant or varnish on top of the coaster. This will protect the coaster from any water that might be spilled on it.
Another way to make coasters waterproof is to use a water-resistant adhesive on the bottom of the coaster. This will keep the coaster from absorbing any moisture and prevent it from warping or becoming damaged.
How Do You Make a Fabric Drink Coaster?
A coaster, or drink coaster, is an item used to rest beverages upon. Coasters protect the surface of a table or any other surface where the user might place a beverage. Fabric coasters are made from a variety of fabrics, including cotton, linen and wool.
The fabric is cut into a circular or square shape and then sewn together. A layer of batting is often added to the coaster to make it more absorbent. To make your own fabric drink coasters, you will need:
-1/4 yard of 100% cotton fabric (quilting weight) -Scissors -Thread
-Sewing machine -Pins -Iron & ironing board (optional)
1. Start by cutting your fabric into 4″ squares. If you want your coasters to be perfect circles, you can trace around a glass or bowl onto the wrong side of the fabric and then cut out using scissors. 2. Place two squares right sides together and pin in place along all four edges.
3. Using a sewing machine, stitch around all four edges of the two squares, leaving about 1/4″ seam allowance. Make sure to backstitch at the beginning and end of your stitching line to reinforce the seam. 4 Repeat steps 2 & 3 with remaining pairs of squares until you have 4 completed coasters total.
5 To finish off the raw edges of your coasters and give them a nice clean look, you can either serge them or use pinking shears if you have them available. If not, simply trim off excess thread from seams with scissors and press well with an iron (if desired). Your new coasters are now ready for use!
What Do You Use to Coat Coasters?
If you’re looking to coat your coasters with a clear, protective finish, there are a few different options to choose from. You can use polyurethane, lacquer, shellac, or even just a simple layer of mod podge. Each option has its own set of pros and cons, so be sure to do your research before deciding which one is right for you.
Polyurethane is one of the most popular choices for coating coasters. It’s durable and moisture-resistant, making it ideal for protecting your surfaces from water damage. It can be applied with a brush or sprayer, and dries fairly quickly.
However, it can yellow over time and doesn’t always adhere well to porous surfaces like wood or cork. Lacquer is another popular option for coating coasters. It’s thinner than polyurethane and dries very quickly, but it isn’t as durable and may not provide as much protection against moisture damage.
It’s also flammable when wet, so be sure to use caution when applying it near open flames. Shellac is a natural resin that’s been used for centuries as a wood sealant and finish. It’s non-toxic and easy to apply with a brush or sprayer, but it doesn’t stand up well to heat or moisture damage.
Additionally, shellac can be difficult to remove if you ever decide to change the color or finish of your coasters down the line. Mod podge is a decoupage medium that can be used to seal and protect just about anything – including coasters! It’s non-toxic, quick drying, and available in both matte and glossy finishes.
However, like shellac, it’s not very heat or moisture resistant so it might not be the best choice if you plan on using your coasters outdoors or in humid conditions.
Are Fabric Coasters Good?
There are a lot of factors to consider when answering this question! Fabric coasters can be good or bad depending on the material, design, and how they’re made.
Material: The type of fabric used for a coaster can make a big difference in its quality.
Some materials, like felt, are naturally absorbent and will help protect your furniture from water damage. Others, like silk, won’t do much to protect your surfaces but can add a touch of luxury to your decor. Design: The design of a coaster is also important to consider.
If the coaster is too small, it might not provide enough coverage for your glassware. If it’s too large, it could be cumbersome to use. Look for a coaster that’s the right size for your needs and has an attractive design that complements your home’s style.
How They’re Made: Finally, pay attention to how the fabric coasters are constructed. Are they handmade with care? Or mass-produced with little attention to detail?
Handmade coasters are often more expensive but worth the investment if you want something unique and well-made.
If you’ve ever made fabric coasters, you know that they’re pretty but not very waterproof. Here’s a quick and easy way to make them waterproof so they’ll actually be useful!
All you need is some clear silicone caulk and a caulking gun.
Run a bead of caulk around the edge of each coaster, then let it dry for 24 hours. That’s it! Your coasters will now be water-resistant, making them perfect for use with cold drinks.